Friday, March 19, 2010
Tarte au Citron et Pistache
( serve 6 mini tarts )
1. 110g butter
2. 200g flour
3. 60g icing sugar
4. 1 egg
(for lemon curd)
1. 4 lemons ( juice and zest )
2. 100g butter
3. 200g caster sugar
4. 4 eggs
**Making the pastry**
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Flour a loose bottom tart tin.
3. Place the flour, butter & sugar in a bowl.
4. Mix the pastry ingredients together until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
5. Add the egg and bring dough together.
6. Rest dough in fridge for 15 minutes before rolling out.
7. Roll out pastry to fit bottom & sides of tin.
8. You need to bake the pastry case ‘blind’ so line the pastry case with greaseproof paper, bottom and sides, and then pour dried beans onto the greaseproof. This will hold the pastry in place on the sides and also stop it from getting air bubbles in the base.
9. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Allow to cool before filling with lemon curd.
**The Lemon Curd**
1. Whisk together the lemon juice, zest, sugar and eggs until they are completely combined.
2. Melt the butter and add to the mixture.
3. Pour the liquid into a heavy bottom pan which distributes heat well.
4. Cook at a low heat and stir continuously while cooking.
Note: *Do not boil the liquid otherwise you will end up with lemon scrambled eggs!
**Do not leave the liquid while cooking and always stir, preventing it from sticking to the base of the pan.
5. Once cooked pour the curd into the cooled pastry case, any curd you have left over pour into sterilized jars which can be kept for a few weeks in the fridge.
6. Decorate tart with pistachio.
Posted by La Petite Vancouver at 1:22 AM